Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tuna Corn Cakes

Groceries are really expensive these days, if you haven't noticed. So I have been trying to make the most of cheap foods.

Two of my favorite cheap proteins are eggs and canned tuna. Seriously, they're practically free, especially if you buy the tuna when it's on sale. Eggs are easy to make delicious (I will follow up in the next few days with the frittata recipes I have been making), but tuna is a bit more challenging--it's strong, and I don't like the most simple way of making it (tuna salad). But I made a foray over the weekend that turned out quite delicious. A tuna corn cake, like a crab cake, except with corn meal.

I made mine completely from scratch, but you could easily use a cornbread mix. I personally don't like any of the mixes, as most of them are too sweet, especially Jiffy. But there are a few that don't load up on the sugar.

The husband complained that they were a bit too dry, and he had a point. That can probably be solved by adding a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise. I abhor mayonnaise (one of the things probably keeping me from ever being a great chef) and so didn't use it, but may hold my nose and add it in the next time.

Tuna Corn Cakes
1 cup self-rising flour (if you don't use self rising, just add two tablespoons of baking powder)
1/2 cup corn meal
2/3 cups milk
3 eggs
3 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
12 ounces canned tuna
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons butter

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix together the flour, corn meal, and milk. Pour into greased square casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out and allow to cool.
3. Beat eggs. Mix in green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay.
4. Crumble corn bread. Fold into egg mixture along with tuna.
5. Form into 3 inch patties. Heat vegetable oil and butter in a skillet. Fry the patties over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.

This recipe made eight cakes, which was more than enough for dinner for everyone, and lunch for me the next day.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment