Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Meatloaf

I love meatloaf, for a few reasons. First, most importantly, pretty much everyone in the family will eat it, several with great gusto. Also, it's not all that difficult, and can be done in the slow cooker (with some important restrictions). Best of all, you can be wonderfully creative with meatloaf--you can chunk all variety of different things into meatloaf and it will still come out as something that everyone will eat.

Here is my most standard meatloaf recipe:

Marjorie's standard meatloaf:

1 lbs lean ground beef
1 half medium onion, chopped
teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 egg
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 slices stale whole wheat bread
salt and pepper to taste

Form this into a loaf and it cooks up great in the crock pot over about 7-8 hours. It looks a little rough along the top, but you're going to cover that in ketchup, anyway.


From there, you can add all manner of other ingredients and spices, such as bells peppers, chiles, or tomatoes. Go crazy and add fresh basil and pine nuts. (I can't do this in my house because of my husband's strict 'no nuts' rule. And no, it's not an allergy, it's just picky. I do use them when I make pesto, but they're all ground up then, which is acceptable to him.)

This morning I didn't have time to get the meatloaf together, so I did it in the oven, instead. I do oven meatloaf at 350 for an hour. There are some important differences in oven meatloaves and crock pot meatloaves.

1. You can't put cheese in the crock pot. This goes for everything. There are plenty of recipes out there that call for cheese in a crock pot, and they are uniformly horrible. Something awful happens to cheese in a crock pot, and it turns into something tasteless and spongy. In the oven, however, cheese is wonderful, almost any type (although you want to match up your cheeses with whatever else you are putting in, of course). I don't like meatloaf super-cheesy--I usually just use about 4 ounces with a pound of meat, and it adds a nice salty, tasty glue (I leave out the egg when I am using cheese).

2. I don't use raw veggies in the oven. Some raw onion or chiles or peppers will melt nicely into a crock pot meatloaf, but they will often stay just a bit too crunchy in the oven. so, just make some adjustments. You also want to keep a close eye on it to make sure the loaf doesn't get too crunchy. This is the recipe I use tonight:

Oven Meatloaf:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 slices stale 9-grain bread, crusts cut off
1 lbs ground round
1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Frankly, it turned out just wonderful. I always feel a little guilty using canned tomatoes (ye Gods the BPA!) but they really do make life easy, so I keep my pantry stocked.

If anyone is reading this, feel free to share your favorite meatloaf variations in comments!

3 comments:

  1. I think your blog is wonderful!

    This is my favorite meatloaf (more or less, I rarely measure anything so it's all approximate).

    1 lb. ground turkey (beef would work too)
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1/2 c. corn (thawed or canned)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/4 c. bread crumbs
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 of a red pepper, chopped
    1/3 c. barbecue sauce
    salt and pepper to taste
    salsa

    Preheat oven to 375. Combine everything but the salsa. Bake for about an hour. Serve with warm salsa. I usually serve this with baked sweet potatoes and a green vegetable.

    I haven't noticed that the veg. in the meatloaf is ever too crunchy for my taste, but you could certainly try sauteing them first.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my first commenter who isn't my husband! Thanks!

    Your recipes looks wonderful, and I think I will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried it in the crockpot - I'll have to try it with your recipe, yum! Here's the meatloaf recipe that I use from my mil - I wasn't a meatloaf person until I tried this one, and it's incredibly easy.

    Barbecue Meatloaf

    1 1/2 pounds ground round
    1-cup breadcrumbs (I prefer Italian style)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (You can also use dried onion to taste instead – so much easier!)
    1 egg, beaten
    1-teaspoon salt
    Pepper to taste
    1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce, divided in half
    1/2 cup water
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    Dash of Tabasco
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard (I prefer one of the brown mustard - any will do)
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and half the can of tomato sauce. Do no over mix. Spoon into a shallow baking dish and shape into a loaf.
    3. Combine the rest of the tomato sauce and remaining ingredients; pour over meatloaf.
    4. Bake for one hour and fifteen minutes, basting occasionally with sauce (I usually spoon the sauce over the meatloaf about two times while it’s cooking).

    ReplyDelete